Put yourself in time out!
Posted on 05 March 2017
Work, kids, family, school, weekend sports, bills, budgets, health, washing clothes, mopping floors, trying to eat well, traffic jams, broken phones, overgrown lawns, planning dinners, sibling rivalry, relationship issues, moving home, anxiety, guilt, illness, being on hold, forgetting your purse, running late.......
It can all just become too much.
Sometimes it feels like we’re being pulled in every conceivable direction and we can never keep everyone happy. Everyone is depending on us. Everybody needs something from us. We’re everything to everyone and it doesn’t seem to end. The thing is, if we don’t take some time for ourselves we’re no good to anyone, especially those who depend on us.
Taking some time for yourself is not self indulgent, it is a necessity.
It’s time to put yourself in time out.
Take a look at your calendar and choose a day and a time that you can set aside each week. Take a great big pretty coloured highlighter and block out the same time each week. This is your time to do something just for yourself. Everything else can be scheduled around this time. It’s your time and it’s non negotiable.
Write a list of everything you’d like to do just for yourself. It can be things you love, things you’ve always wanted to do, a place you’ve wanted to visit, anything as long as it’s solely for yourself.
Here’s some ideas to get the ball rolling:
- Go for a walk
- Sit on the beach
- Treat yourself to brunch
- Read a book under a tree
- Drive through the countryside
- Wander through the shops
- Catch up with a friend
- Take up a hobby
- Go to the gym
- Go on a bush walk
- Watch a movie
- Soak in a bath
- Be still and meditate
- Take yourself to T2, buy a gorgeous little tea cup, make a warm tea and relax with a magazine
- Embrace nature and go barefoot in the park
- Tech-NO: unplug and steer clear of all technology
- Dance around your living room to your favourite songs
- Create a nook, your very own space in your home. Fill it with blankets, cushions and candles and on rainy days, curl up with a good book or just have a nap.
- Create a playlist of your favourite tunes and chill out
- Say no. The world will not end if you need to say no to friends or family or school or work.
- Enjoy a massage, facial, manicure or pedicure
- Be a kid! You won’t be able wipe the smile from your face when you’re on a swing or jumping on a trampoline. Seriously, try it!
- Paint, sketch and colour in
- Have a nap
- Go for a swim
- Cook or bake
- Write a gratitude list
- Try aromatherapy
- Hug it out - your friends or your pets, hugs make everyone feel good!
- Get a haircut
- Learn something new
- Watch the sunrise
Get started! YOUR list can be anything YOU want to do that makes YOU feel good.
We all need a little time out to recharge and refresh.